Thanksgiving is tomorrow here in the States. I love this holiday because it reminds everyone to be grateful for what they have. Writing and maintain this blog keeps me in a permanent state of gratitude. This post is a special THANK YOU to the many wonderful people, places, and organizations that are very close to my heart:
- My readers. Every single time I get a comment, like, or new follower I am just tickled pink! It’s so humbling to know that people not only read my writing, but like it. Thank you so very much for reading. And please know that I love your comments and questions. Feel free to contact me anytime!
- My family & friends. These are the people behind the scenes that allow the magic to really happen. They let me ask them questions. They encourage me. They let me blog about them. They support me through the ups and downs that come with the creative process. I don’t know what I would do without them!
- Other bloggers. The blog-o-sphere is a huge place. It can seem overwhelming when you first start your own blog. At first, I considered other blogs competition. Over time, I realized that bloggers have such a tight knit community and are very supportive. I’ve developed great relationships with other bloggers. We write guest posts for one another, we chat of the phone – we even shop together. I learn so much from other bloggers. They each bring a unique perspective to the subjects of fashion, art, design, and other creative disciplines. I’m so grateful for each and everyone one of you that shows up to your computer to share your passions with the world. Be sure to check out my blog roll and visit some of my favorites!
- IFB. Also known as Independent Fashion Bloggers. This is a fantastic community. Their site offers so many unbelievable tips and information for creating and growing a successful blog. Even though the site caters to those of us on the fashion side, their resources are valuable for anyone developing a website or blog. I attended the conference in SoHo this year, and it was extremely inspiring. A very special thank you to Jennie Tamm for starting IFB!
- The Baum School of Art. The Baum School of Art is a community art school that offers a variety of courses to children, teens, and adults. They are a non-profit institution, and work tirelessly to bring the arts to underprivileged children and to communities where arts education has been denied. In addition, they have a fashion program in collaboration with the Lehigh Carbon Community College. Director Shannon S. Fugate saw the importance of having a study collection for the fashion students, and secured The Stieg Collection for the fashion curriculum.
As if providing arts education was not enough, The Baum School of Art has now preserved a historically significant collection of American couture.
- Worn Through. Working with other fashion scholars is inspiring. I love contributing to Worn Through. There perspective on fashion as an academic discipline is always enlightening. I’m so thankful for the Worn Through team and all of the wonderful resources on the site.
- My teachers & my students. Learning is a lifelong process. I’m grateful for all of the wonderful teachers in my life, past and present. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that I would be a teacher, too. Leading a classroom has actually taught me quite a bit. There are things I’ve learned about myself, like how to be a better public speaker, how to be an approachable authority, and how to manage expectations. And of course, I’m always learning from my students.
- Things that quiet my mind. Obviously, I do a lot of thinking. Ideas come and go in my mind very quickly. Sometimes this is great. It gives me a lot of content to write about. But sometimes, it is very difficult for me to let go, to stop thinking. Taking breaks and getting distance from your work helps your overall creativity. So I am grateful for all of the things that help me quiet my mind. Yoga is one the best things that help me to detach and stay quiet. I’m especially appreciative for Yogaglo, a website from which you can stream classes.
- My “editor”. Pets just make life better. My dog makes me so happy, especially when he likes to act as editor. :)
Have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!